Turn your day-old rice into a complete one-pot meal! This Hawaiian Fried Rice loaded with ham, bacon, pineapple, eggs, and veggies is ready in minutes yet turns out so hearty and tasty. A guaranteed family favorite!
I love cooking, but if I can be out of the kitchen in half the time, I’m all for it. One of my favorite meal prep hacks is freezing steamed rice. I usually cook double the amount I can consume in one meal and save the remaining half for stir-fries.
This trick has saved me plenty of time and stress, especially in times when G and I are hungry for a quick hot dinner. I have many delicious ways to revamp my pack of day-old rice into tasty fried rice but this Hawaiian version is our current favorite.
Hawaiian fried rice is quick and easy to make and customizable, too. As with most fried rice recipes, it’s a great way to use up protein and veggies we have on hand. Juicy pineapples and diced ham are a must for the tropical flavors, but carrots, bamboo shoots, chicken, and BBQ pork are also good additions.
- Have all your ingredients prepared as making this fried rice is a very quick process.
- Use a wok or a wide pan with high sides to allow a good distribution of the ingredients without spilling and to give the rice enough space to nicely toast.
- Add liquid seasonings such as soy sauce sparingly to keep the fried rice from getting mushy from excess moisture. Use salt to adjust taste as needed.
- Cook the eggs by making a well in the center of the fried rice or separately in another pan and add during the last minute or two. Cook them until just set and still slightly wet as they will continue to cook when added to the fried rice.
How to store leftovers
- Transfer leftovers to a container with lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheat in the microwave at 2 to 3-minute intervals until completely warmed through, stirring well between each interval.
Hawaiian Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 5 cups steamed rice (Jasmine)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained well
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste